This recipe for Tortino di Riso Venere is based on a typical dish from the Crespi Family; the’ve been producing rice in Piemonte since 1821 and know how to make a killer rice dish! We love this recipe, not only because it tastes great and is full of vegetables, but also because of its stunning presentation. When you make this at home, feel free to be as creative as you would like with your choice of season vegetables used as well as the plating and garnishing; it’s half the fun!
500g of black rice (whole pack)
100g of shelled and peeled fava beens
100g of peas
1 cubed zucchina
500g of spinach
200g grams of halved cherry tomatoes
100g of asparagus, tips and stalks (cut in half) separated
1 spoonful of chopped parsley
5 spoonfuls of extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
1. Boil water, add salt, and cook the rice for about 35 minutes, then strain and put in a large bowl
2. In a pan, add a drop of water then cook the onion, fava beans, and peas for 15 minutes. Then add the zucchina, asparagus stalks, 2 spoons of olive oil and cook for 10 more minutes
3. Add the cooked vegetables to the bowl of rice. Add the parsley and egg. Mix well.
4.Grease oven safe custard cups with olive oil. Fill the cups with the rice mixture and prepare an oven pan bagno maria. Cook for 20 minutes in a preheated oven to 440 °F.
5. While this is cooking, blanch asparagus tips and spinach in boiling water and quickly saute the tomatoes in olive oil.
6. When the rice is cooked, carefully transfer the rice onto plates by turning the custard cups upside down, maintaining the form.
7. Lastly, arrange the vegetables around the rice and serve.