The whole saffron threads give to this risotto rich notes of dried fruit and flowers with a hint of smokiness. Vialone Nano is the perfect rice variety for this dish; it absorbs all the flavors and keeps them locked in its round grains. The best part of this recipe is finishing the creamy, golden risotto with drops of traditional balsamic vinegar extra vecchio, aka aged for 25 years in wooden barrels in the Modena province. This viscous, agrodolce (almost balmy) final touch will transform your comfort risotto into a 5-star dish.
Watch our friend Giulia in her kitchen for visual proof of how simple and comforting this risotto can be:
Serves 6 people
500gr Vialone Nano rice (half the bag)
2 small onions, finely chopped
8 cups (roughly) of vegetable stock
Half glass of white wine
1 cup of grated Vacche Rosse Cheese
3 spoonfuls of butter
500 mg (half jar) saffron threads
Traditional balsamic vinegar aged for 25 years
- The previous night, dissolve the saffron threads in 2 spoons of water and let it rest for the night.
- For the risotto, bring vegetable stock to simmer.
- In a separate pot, sauté the onions in 2 spoons of EVOO, until translucent.
- Add the rice and let it toast a little (approx. 3 minutes), then pour the white wine.
- Once wine is reduced, start adding the hot stock to the rice, a ladle at a time, waiting until each addition has been absorbed before adding the next one. Keep on gently stirring .
- At about mid cooking (about 10 mins) add the saffron diluted in water.
- At the end of cooking (about 20 mins) turn off the fire and add the butter and the grated cheese whisking until butter is melted.
- Let the risotto rest covered for 5 minutes before serving.
- Finish with some drops of Traditional balsamic vinegar aged for 25 years.