Before you start to tell us that you don’t like fishy flavors, hear us out. We have served this dish to people who didn’t even realize they were eating fish. This pasta dish is a true marriage of Mediterranean flavors and it’s the bottarga that brings them all together, with its umami flavor. So umami.
Nota bene: you can make it now and eat it later! One reason we love this recipe and use it as a go-to dish for guests is because you can stop after step 3, put it in the fridge, and start with step 4 the next day. Just make sure to let the sauce return to room temperature.
Serves 4-5 people:
1 bag Spaghetti Faella (or Linguine)
1 Mullet Bottarga
Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Sardegna, lots
Rinds of 2 lemons, zested
Juice of 1 lemon
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 healthy handful of Salted Capers, rinsed
1 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
Chili pepper, to taste
- Peel away outer layer and thinly slice the bottarga with a knife (paper thin!).
- In a bowl, mix bottarga, EVOO, capers, and lemon juice + zest. Add enough EVOO for it to become a homogeneous liquidy mixture.
- Add the garlic, parsley, and chili pepper, mix well.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente.
- When you drain the pasta SAVE some of the pasta water!
- Vigorously mix pasta and sauce together, adding the cooking water, a spoonful at a time, until it becomes creamy. You can also add more EVOO, a splash at a time, to increase creaminess.