The first time we prepared this salad inspired to Pantelleria’s flavor gems – capers – we were not in the tiny island of Pantelleria, in Sicily. We were actually upstate New York, in New Paltz, at the dreamy farm of Ray Bradley. We were kicking off a new Gustiamo tradition: a Ferragosto (15th of August) celebration with Ray, our absolute favorite farmer. We cooked a full menu for 60 (sixty!) people, marrying together Ray’s fantastic produce and some Gustiamo staple ingredients. Here’s an adapted version of the recipe for a smaller crowd and with a variation for those months when tomatoes are not in season.
- When cold, cut the boiled potatoes into large cubes.
- Wash and cut the tomatoes in big slices. If using Piennolo tomatoes, add them as they are, straight out of the jar.
- Thinly slice the shallots.
- Carefully rinse the capers.
- Cut each anchovy fillet in three parts.
- Finely chop the chives.
- Drain the caperberries and combine all the ingredients in a big bowl.
- Season with abundant extra virgin olive oil and NO salt. Set aside for up to 2 hours before serving, allowing all the ingredients and flavors to blend together.
- Serve with a slice of bread.