Fresh and moist, with a touch of citrus. The best recipe for olive oil cake needs to follow exclusively one rule: use real, high quality extra virgin olive oil and all its aromas will shine beautifully. We used half Il Tratturello EVOO from Molise and half Quinta Luna EVOO from Umbria for a bold, rich result. We love to toast the slices a little, before serving. If you want to indulge, spread some orange marmalade by Caffè Sicilia for a match made in heaven.
240 g Sicilian Maiorca flour
210 g sugar
8 g baking powder
7 g baking soda
1/2 spoon Trapani fine sea salt
80 g Il Tratturello extra virgin olive oil
80 g Quinta Luna extra virgin olive oil
150 g whole milk
2 spoons liqueur (rum, Grand Manier, Limoncello, or any of your favorites)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Coat a loaf pan with some of the olive oil or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In another bowl, combine the extra virgin olive oil, milk, eggs, and liqueur. Zest the orange directly into the bowl. Halve the orange, squeeze the juice, and add to the bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Whisk slowly until smooth and pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.