Pasta al Pomodoro is probably the most iconic Italian comfort food. It makes for a quick meal full of goodness for every day in every season. Here at Gustiamo, we cook Pasta al Pomodoro (at least) once a week. Simplicity is the key: we can never get bored of this one!
SERVES: 4-5 people
TIME: 20 minutes
1 bag of your favorite shape of pasta (500 gr/1.1 lbs)
1 can of tomatoes (800 gr/28.2 oz)
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
Sea salt (to taste)
Basil (about 16 leaves)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. In a pan, heat EVOO over medium-high heat and add the crushed garlic. Cook until lightly browned (about 3 minutes).
3. Pour the tomatoes, add a pinch of salt, and 1/2 of the basil. Cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the salted boiling water 2 minutes less than the cooking time recommended on your bag of pasta.
6. Drain the pasta.
7. Discard the garlic from the pan, then add the pasta to the sauce. Sauté on high heat for about 2 minutes.
8. Serve immediately and finish tearing 2 leaves of basil on each plate.