These are two of our favorite recipes, because they work extraordinarily well both together and as separate dishes. That said, at Gustiamo we are on a one frittata per week schedule, so we will probably always choose to combine them. Because, let’s be honest, we all agree that nothing enhances the egg-y flavors of frittata better than an agrodolce pairing.
For the onions:
For the frittata:
- Wash and peel the onions, and with the help of a mandolin cut them in thin slices.
- In a frying pan, warm up the oil and stir-fry the onions till lightly soft.
- Add Balsamic Saba 3 and cook until the onions are well soaked in vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper and let the onions rest in a bowl with their sauce for about half an hour. Serve as an appetizer with toasted bread or use in a frittata.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, add the chopped herbs and agrodolce onions and a pinch of salt.
- Bake in warm oven at 180°C (360F) for about 20 mins.
- Serve warm with drops of Traditional Balsamic vinegar of Modena 12 years.