This recipe comes from Beatrice’s niece, Maria, who was born,
raised, and currently lives in Siena. “If she can make an
excellent crostata, I can do it, too,” Beatrice says about her niece, who can’t boil an egg.
We actually love crostata for
exactly that reason, because it is easy and it only takes a few good
ingredients to make; and, of course, it is an Italian breakfast essential.
Recipe: Caffe’ Sicilia Trio Crostata
Makes a crostata roughly 10 inches in diameter.
– 2 cups of flour
– 1/2 cup of butter
– 1 cup of sugar
– 1 egg
– 1 egg yolk
– zest of 1 lemon
– pinch of Salt
– Pre-heat the oven for 340 °F
– Combine all ingredients
– Mix until the dough is uniform
– Roll out the dough with a rolling pin (saving a small
portion for the top of the crostata)
– Fit dough in a shallow pie dish
– Add jam and/or marmalade as desired
– Decorate the top of the crostata with strips of dough
– Bake for 30-40 minutes
– Bake for 5 additional minutes in the broiler if the top
is not thoroughly cooked.